Saturday, January 28, 2012

Since we're talking about Grammar

Little known fact (or maybe not): the 8 am grammar class I took as an undergraduate in college was one of my very favorite.

I know, I am such a nerd.

That said, I actually can't remember too much about what we learned in that class. We did very little sentence diagramming--that is soooo old school--but I know we did a lot of labeling. Different types of verbs, clauses, phrases, sentence types: if it was typed on a paper we labelled it.

I do remember that for our big final group project my group choose to do the very important, landmark work of analyzing the grammatical patterns within the character dialogue in Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Wouldn't you know it those wily pirates use much more interesting and complex sentences types than those stodgy old British Naval Officers. They're so much more loveable. Aren't you glad I proved it for you, grammatically.

Even Jack Sparrow cares about grammar:

"I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically . . . "

2 comments:

joojierose said...

i diagrammed sentences in latin! woo hoo!

ps here at this little bookstore in oxford there's an austen-themed 'high tea' coming up, with readings and music and games and all sorts of to-do. it sounds smashing but i wish you could come along! a mere £5! (plus a flight over. dang.)

Lindsay said...

It sounds worth it, Jooj. If it weren't for this job and class dealy I've got going in Beantown. Alas.